Current:Home > InvestGilgo Beach murders: Police searching suspect's walk-in vault -Prime Capital Blueprint
Gilgo Beach murders: Police searching suspect's walk-in vault
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 17:43:52
"Numerous" guns were kept inside a walk-in vault with a "big iron door" at the home of Gilgo Beach, New York, murder suspect Rex Heuermann, according to authorities.
Heuermann had over 200 guns in his suburban Massapequa Park, Long Island, house, according to police, though he only had permits for 92 firearms, according to prosecutors.
Investigators have looked in the vault and dug up Heuermann's backyard as the search for evidence continues, Suffolk Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison said Monday.
MORE: Family of Gilgo Beach murder suspect releases statement: 'Devastating time'
A backhoe was brought to Heuermann's home on Sunday. The excavating equipment was in use for about three hours on Sunday and remains at the scene.
Harrison said it has been a "fruitful" search of the house so far.
One theory investigators are exploring is whether Heuermann, a husband and father of two, killed any of his alleged victims inside his house.
"Can we confirm that someone was killed inside the house? We can't confirm that at this time," Harrison said Monday.
Prosecutors have said that, based on phone records, Heuermann's wife and children were not home at the time of the killings. The records also point to the house as a location where phones pinged, but prosecutors were careful not to identify a location yet where they believe the victims died.
Harrison said the search at the house could end as soon as Tuesday.
"I want to believe we will be finished up either some time tomorrow or later on this week," he said.
MORE: Gilgo Beach murders: A timeline of the investigation
Heuermann, a New York City architect, was arrested on July 13 for the murders of three sex workers -- Melissa Barthelemy, Megan Waterman and Amber Costello -- whose bodies were found covered in burlap on Long Island's South Shore in 2010. The young women disappeared in 2009 and 2010.
Heuermann's attorney entered a not guilty plea on his behalf.
He is also the prime suspect in the death of a fourth victim, Maureen Brainard-Barnes, who vanished in 2007, though he has not been charged in that case.
veryGood! (836)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Braves turn rare triple play after Red Sox base-running error
- Jason Aldean blasts cancel culture, defends Try That in a Small Town at Cincinnati concert
- Chinese and Russian officials to join North Korean commemorations of Korean War armistice
- Small twin
- Trump ally Bernard Kerik turned over documents to special counsel investigating events surrounding Jan. 6
- After 40 years, a teenage victim of the Midwest's 'interstate' serial killer is identified
- UPS and Teamsters reach tentative agreement, likely averting strike
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Decades in prison for 3 sentenced in North Dakota fentanyl trafficking probe
Ranking
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- 'Haunted Mansion' review: Don't expect a ton of chills in Disney's safe ghost ride
- Marines found dead in vehicle in North Carolina identified
- Education Department investigating Harvard's legacy admission policies
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- UK billionaire Joe Lewis, owner of Tottenham soccer team, charged with insider trading in US
- Greece remains on 'high alert' for wildfires as heat wave continues
- Women's World Cup 2023: Meet the Players Competing for Team USA
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Trump ally Bernard Kerik turned over documents to special counsel investigating events surrounding Jan. 6
Traps removed after no sign of the grizzly that killed a woman near Yellowstone
Unexplained outage at Chase Bank leads to interruptions at Zelle payment network
Bodycam footage shows high
Hundreds evacuated after teen girl sets fire to hotel sofa following fight with mom
Michael Jackson sexual abuse lawsuits on verge of revival by appeals court
Terry Crews' Doctor Finds Potentially Cancerous Polyps During His Filmed Colonoscopy